Frequently Asked Questions About OK18

Contact DM if you have questions about the OK18 negotiations: 38 15 66 00
Phone open hours (Danish)

Also see our ABC Guide to Conflicts

When can the conflict become effective?

In connection with the OK18 negotiations, the strike can become effective on 4 April 2018 at the earliest.

The lockout can become effective on 10 April 2018 at the earliest.

When a conflict notice has been issued, the conciliation board may decide that the negotiations shall continue with the arbitrator as mediator. The arbitrator may postpone a notified conflict twice, each time for two weeks. Each party will then decide whether to respect a possible settlement proposal drawn up by the arbitrator or to initiate the conflict.

Who will be included in the conflict?

Only DM members who fall under a public academic agreement (AC agreement) will be part of the conflict.

If your workplace is included in the conflict, it will also affect:

  • Students who fall under an AC agreement
  • Fixed-term employees
  • Employees in a flexijob or wage subsidy job
  • Members with a side line occupation within the conflict-affected areas

What if I am an employer?

Employers must inform their employees that they are included in the lockout, unless the employees inform the employers otherwise. The employers must also inform employees who are absent owing to illness, maternity/paternity leave or for other reasons are absent from the workplace.

Who will not be included in the conflict?

Some employee groups cannot participate in the conflict. This applies to:

  • Actual managers at a certain wage level. That is, managers with budgetary responsibility, personnel management and hiring competences, insofar as these fall into at least the state wage bracket of 36 or the municipal/regional wage level of 50 or similar. Both conditions must be met for the person in question to be exempted from the conflict.
  • Members necessary for the resolution of the conflict.
  • Members whom the parties agree to exempt from conflict, e.g. emergency services at hospitals.
  • Public servants and similar
  • DM members who do not fall under an AC agreement*.

* If you are a member of DM, but do not fall under an AC agreement, you must go to work during a strike or lockout. You may only do your own work and not undertake conflict-affected work.

What about the unorganised?

Non-organised colleagues are excluded from the conflict and must show up at work during a strike or lockout. By doing so the impact of the conflict is weakened, and that is why it is of high importance to organise all colleagues in DM since we stand strong together. During a conflict the most important task of the union representative is to ensure that unorganised colleagues, who show up for work, only do their own work and not conflict-affected work.

What happens during the conflict?

When the conflict becomes effective, you must leave your workplace, and you cannot return for the remainder of the conflict. Your terms of employment will be temporarily suspended during the conflict, and therefore you cannot do your work from home either.

If you are part of the conflict, DM, in return for financial support, expects you to participate in the activities and tasks launched by DM in the conflict period.

What about wages?

If you are part of the conflict, you will not receive wages during the conflict. In return, you, as a member of DM, are entitled to conflict support from DM in the form of a conflict loan.

Read more about conflict loans (in Danish) or contact DM

What about holidays?

If you are participating in a strike or lockout on the first day of your planned holiday, unfortunately you cannot do go on holiday (the start time of the holiday is the time at which the workday begins on the first day of the holiday). This is called a legal ‘holiday hindrance’. Practically, your holiday will be postponed with a right to compensation holiday.

If you are on holiday when the conflict is launched, you can continue with your holiday. And you have a right to receive wages during your holiday – even though this means that it is payable during the conflict.

What happens after the conflict?

A conflict may cease in three different ways:

  • The parties agree on a settlement.
  • The parties accept a mediation proposal from the conciliation board.
  • The government intervenes and stops the conflict by law.

When the conflict is over, you must resume work at your place of employment. All members affected by the conflict are entitled to resume the same occupational functions as before the conflict.